Electrical Wiring Specialists Crossville TN

This page provides useful content and local businesses that can help with your search for Electrical Wiring Specialists. You will find helpful, informative articles about Electrical Wiring Specialists, including "Upgrading Residential Electrical Service". You will also find local businesses that provide the products or services that you are looking for. Please scroll down to find the local resources in Crossville, TN that will answer all of your questions about Electrical Wiring Specialists.

Ewing Electric & Refrigeration
(931) 456-0395
1626 Bear Creek Road
Crossville, TN
Air Conditioning Contractors, Heating Contractors, Electric Contractors Residential, Refrigeration Dealers Commercial & Industrial
24 Hours Service
Payment Options
Licensed & Insured

Ac Electric Refrigeration Heating & Air Conditinng
(931) 484-2434
2395 Tabor Loop
Crossville, TN
Davenport Electrical Service Co Lle
(931) 484-5372
511 Swicegood Road
Crossville, TN
Rocky Top Plumbing
(931) 788-3699
218 Hoover Road
Crossville, TN
R J S Electric
(931) 484-9758
3007 Peavine Firetower Road
Crossville, TN
Ewing Electric & Refrigeration Inc
(931) 456-0395
1626 Bear Creek Road
Crossville, TN
Zuercher Electric CO
(931) 484-8245
109 Finley Road
Crossville, TN
Alpha Laser Cartridge Recycling
(931) 456-0024
12688 Highway 127 North
Crossville, TN
Kens Electric & Plumbing
(931) 788-2233
1014 Ridley Drive
Crossville, TN
Davenport Electrical Service CO
(931) 484-5372
511 SWicegood Road
Crossville, TN

Upgrading Residential Electrical Service

Does my electrical service have fuses or circuit breakers?

It wasn't until the 1960's that circuit breakers became the standard for electrical service panels - before that all electrical panels contained screw and cartridge type fuses.

The way an electrical panel is made is the same regardless whether the panel uses fuses or circuit breakers. Fuses have taken a bad rap only because of the ease in which a fuse of one size can be replaced with a larger fuse. For example if a 15 amp fuse blows frequently a 20 amp fuse can be used to eliminate the nuisance of having to change the fuse so often. When a 20 amp fuse is inserted where a 15 amp was the current carrying capacity of the circuit is increased by 33% without any regard to the wire size. Remember that the fuse is rated according to the wire size - that is worth repeating a little louder - THE FUSE IS RATED ACCORDING TO THE WIRE SIZE. Because is it so easy to insert a 20 or even 30 amp fuse in to a 15 amp circuit, fuse panels have become an electrical hazard.

When a house is inspected for resale many insurance companies require a fuse panel to be replaced by a circuit breaker panel before the sale is complete. If the current service contains fuses it is probably worth the investment to upgrade the service from fuses to circuit breakers.

Upgrading the service to circuit breakers does not mean the amperage has to be increased. It is OK to change out a 100 amp fuse panel with a 100 amp circuit breaker panel. Just because the service is changing to circuit breakers does not mean the amperage coming in to the house must be increased to 200 amps.

This leads to the next question.

What size amperage is the existing service?

An electrical service is measured in amps with the standards being 100, 150 and 200 for a typical home. Amperage is like the size of the water pipe that feeds a residence - the bigger the pipe the more water that can be delivered. Don't confuse service voltage with service amperage - service voltage comes in one variety 220/240, more on that later. If the home has a 100 amp service and there are no plans to add more electrical stuff (an addition, hot water heater, air conditioning, electrical heater and etc.) then why increase the size of the service. Unless you just want to keep up with Tim the tool man that lives next door who had his service increased to 200 amps - the present 100 amps that supplies the family with all the electrical comforts they need ...

is a question homeowners ask frequently. An upgrade of an electrical service typically involves an older residence with service size of 100 amps or less and the homeowner is deciding whether to increase the amperage to 200. Depending on what part of the country the residence is the cost of the job could be as high as $2000 which makes the homeowner question the need for such an investment. The following questions should be answered before deciding whether or not to upgrade the service.

Click here to read the rest of this article from Handyman